Primary Schools without Food Technology Rooms?
Practical Cooking will become part of the New National Curriculum in September 2014 for Key Stage 1, 2 and 3. Whereas most of the Secondary Schools have existing Food Technology Rooms, under 25% of the Primary Schools do not have these facilities in place.How to achieve Practical Cooking without a Food Technology Room?
Mexa Thermal Systems have developed The Mobile Cook Station; a dynamic and versatile teaching aid, comprising a fan circulated catering oven, a dual induction hob, refrigerator, hand-wash, drop down preparation table and all mounted on a stainless steel mobile stand.
The objective of the Mobile Cook Station
The Mobile Cook Station is a fantastic new concept in teaching children practical cooking inside their own classroom. The children choose, plan and prepare the lessons ingredients, the teacher then cooks the prepared food in front of them, demonstrating different types of cooking techniques.
Once cooked, the food can be passed around for the pupils to taste, for many of them trying new exciting textures and flavours for the first time. It gives them the chance to taste new foods, as well as teaching them to cook from healthy basic ingredients, probably one of the most important life skills they will learn.The benefits of the Mobile Cook Station
- Space saving - No need for a Food Technology Room.
- Saving money - No need to commission and service a Food Technology Room, save many tens of thousands of pounds in each school.
- Reducing the health and safety risks - Young children not handling hot equipment.
- Reduced staffing levels - Not having to care for young children in a Food Technology Room when handling hot equipment.
- Less disruption to the children - Taking the practical cooking lessons in their own classrooms.
- Mobile - The Mobile Cook Station can be moved from class to class, room to room.
- Multiple Mobile Cook Stations - Different classes and key stages can teach practical cooking at the same time, not struggling to accommodate the whole school in a single Food Technology Room.
- Versatile - Can be used for after school clubs, m.a.t.ch. workshops, children and parent groups, breakfast clubs, cookathons, fund raising and many more...